Friday, July 27, 2007

Letter to the Editor of West News Magazine

As I mentioned in my last post, I had a letter to the editor of West News Magazine published the end of July. They don't keep the letters archived as weeks pass by, so I've added the text of the letter to the bottom of this post.

In this letter, written as I sat in the BOE meeting, I express my disagreement with the single patron comment voiced in that meeting.

Please read this letter. If you agree with it, then join me in supporting Dr. Larson. He's been an important influence on Rockwood during his time here, and it would be a shame to allow factions of the board to engineer his exit.

Editor:

I'm sitting here in the Rockwood BOE meeting, where a district parent just made an impassioned plea to the board to work out an orderly exit strategy for the current superintendent, Dr. Craig Larson, and begin an immediate search for a new superintendent. While I heard his message, I could not disagree with it more.

Dr. Larson has been an excellent superintendent during his entire tenure, promising improvements in the district's financial and academic performance and then delivering on it. His ability to initiate change has been adversely affected, however, over the last 6 months. Dr. Larson and his actions have not changed -- what has changed is the makeup and character of the board. Previous to this, the board was willing to listen and work with the superintendent. Now, they seem to be at odds most of the time. Dr. Larson doesn't seem to be the problem. That only leaves a change in the board...

So my suggestion would be, instead of buying out and replacing Dr. Larson, perhaps portions of the board should adopt a more professional attitude and remember how to work together. There is no requirement that we like those with whom we work, but we must respect them. This is what adults do. We still have the opportunity to get two more years of excellent service from this outstanding man, and we would be foolish to waste it.

When the time is right, a year from now, ask Dr. Larson to use his years of knowledge and contacts to lead the effort to find the best replacement candidate possible. I'm sure he will approach this challenge with the same energy, drive, and excellence that he has used over the rest of his career, both in Rockwood and before.

-- bab

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is so informative. I am completely taken aback by the patron's comment of buying Larson's contract out. I would find this action to be completely fiscally irresponsible. Not to mention it flies in the face of their "succession planning" of which they so strongly advocated for in the spring. I would think that it would be ever more beneficial to retain Dr. Larson for the extent of his contract and use his contacts and knowledge to lead our district through this vast turnover in administration. Dr. Peckron has announced her intentions to retire in June, 2008. (Does everyone hear that? DR. PECKRON HAS ANNOUNCED HER INTENTIONS TO RETIRE IN JUNE, 2008!) This is two months prior to the implementation of the new high school schedule. As a tax payer in this district I find it appalling that people would think it acceptable to have two new administrators to the district in what could conceivably be a somewhat tumultuous year. I think the board should be begging Dr. Larson to stay and should consider extending his contract one more year.

I think our BOE needs to carefully consider their actions. Unnecessarily buying out Larson’s contract is both wrong and fiscally irresponsible. I think many voters will have a difficult time approving a bond issue when the Board is so financially reckless. I for one will have a difficult time with it myself. While I know it will benefit the children of Rockwood, I am tired of giving approval (and money) to a board that clearly does not listen to its’ patrons.

I think it is time for this Board of Education to drop the issue of Larson’s contract and move forward in a positive and proactive manner. You are clearly a board divided. You were elected to manage this district. Don’t allow your legacy of service to this district to end up being one of ineptitude and financial irresponsibility.

Anonymous said...

Can someone please explain to me why certain members of our Board of Education seem to have some sort of personal beef with Dr. Larson? Is it just me or has our district done remarkably well under his guidance and leadership? I don't know why this issue continues to come up. Dr. Larson said in the spring after the board's vote that he has every intention of fulfilling the last two years of his contract with Rockwood. Why is this board so determine to outst an effective administrator? If Larson has done something to warrant his termination then it is the Board's responsibility to remove him. If he hasn't done anything wrong and the board has some personal beef with him, then it is the board's responsibility to GET OVER IT and act like adults and move on and work together in a professional, respectable manner. I am tired of hearing how this board is busying themselves with what seems like personal vendettas against a well-respected and effective administrator. The children of Rockwood deserve better service then what this BOE is delivering.

I can't wait until the spring elections. According to their website, three members are up for re-election. The voters will decide then. For now my message to this board is to get over your personal beefs and work toward the education and development of this district!